Latest News


Isle of Wight Council Regeneration Consultation Begins

Please see below press release from Isle of Wight Council:

REGENERATION CONSULTATION IS ON

The Isle of Wight Council has launched a draft Regeneration Strategy to ensure the Island becomes an inspiring place to grow up, live, work and visit.

Following a year of meetings with people all around the Isle of Wight, the strategy was launched at yesterday’s (Thursday’s) second annual Regeneration Conference at Lakeside, Wootton.

Business leaders and some of the Island’s key infrastructure partners, including Wight Fibre, Wightlink, South West Trains and the Isle of Wight Chamber of Commerce were among the guest speakers at the event.

Students from Portsmouth School of Architecture shared their award-winning vision for the future of the Island, which also will be on display in Newport at 30 High Street until Monday 30 July.

The discussion about the new draft strategy continues online with a web consultation which invites everyone to express their views about the way the Island should be improved for the future.

Councillor Dave Stewart, leader of the Isle of Wight Council said: “In this second year of the regeneration programme we are determined to achieve results that benefit the wider economy and community and not just our bank balance.

“One of the key points to come out so far from the council’s ‘Wight We Want’ Island conversation process is a clear message that regeneration on the Island is not about polishing the family silver and putting it on the market.

“It’s important to see our Island through other people’s eyes, and remember what the gateways look like.

“Generating revenue is important, but keeping ownership for future generations makes senses financially as well as morally.”

Councillor Wayne Whittle, Isle of Wight Council cabinet member for business development, regeneration and tourism, said: “Encouraging young people to think about the Island’s future has been a key feature of the programme’s engagement work this year, with Taylor Millard, winner of the Island Young Designers’ award announced at the conference and a brilliant exhibition of shortlisted entries being opened at 30 High Street, Newport.

“We have seen a fantastic response to our ‘open for business’ message.

“Those with investment and development proposals have eagerly sought us out and the challenge has been to evaluate not simply the potential financial return of a proposal but how it meets community needs.

Newport Living History Project

Do you have knowledge on the history of the people and places of Newport?  If so, the Living History Project needs you!

 Press Release

Work underway on Newport Living History Project

Newport Parish Council has taken the next step in the delivery of their Newport Living History Project – which is being funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund – by employing a Project Manager. Claire Tillman has a year of funding to breathe life into the bones of the bid that was put forward last year. The project offers a whole host of opportunities for the community of Newport to work together, learn more about their home town and share their tales of times gone by.

We are seeking people willing to share their experiences and those of their family who have been living and working in Newport over the last century. There will be a series of heritage events and workshops throughout the year linking to both the Records Office in Newport and Carisbrooke Castle Museum and a chance to learn new skills as part of those. Three local schools have already been approached to involve their pupils in the work but this is by no means exclusive. There will be public events that can be attended by all members of the community.

This project has been made possible by the contribution of the National Lottery players.

If you would like to know more about the project, then please contact:

Contact Details: Claire Tillman, Project Manager Newport Parish Council The Riverside Centre The Quay NEWPORT, Isle of Wight PO30 2QR Tel: 07811 801160 Email: clerk@newportwight.org.uk

 

Allotment Forum

 

School routes set to be resurfaced during summer holiday

Isle of Wight Council Press Release

A number of key roads around Island schools are scheduled to be resurfaced during the forthcoming summer holidays to minimise term-time disruption to staff, pupils and parents.

The roads, which include Furrlongs, Newport; Perowne Way, Sandown; Watergate Road, Newport; Recreation Ground Road, Newport and Wilver Road, Newport, are all due to receive carriageway upgrades over the school holiday period, which begins later this month.

Residents in the area will shortly be receiving letters about the daytime works, and information signs on site will indicate the precise timing of the works and any necessary diversions.

Keith Gourlay, Construction Manager at Island Roads explained “Wherever practical, we try to schedule our works to minimise disruption and these roads are a case in point. Given the locations, we would endeavour to avoid work during term-time because of the impact it would have in terms of the school communities.

“For various reasons, it is not always possible to avoid work near schools during term-times, but we do look to concentrate work around holidays in these areas where we can.

“We appreciate that there will still be some disruption to local residents, and we thank them for their patience during this time, and hope that the whole community will notice the visible improvements made at the end of this work.”

COUNCIL AND MP SUPPORT NEWPORT’S GREAT BRITISH HIGH STREET BID

Isle of Wight Council Press Release

The Island’s county town of Newport is contending for the High Street of the Year award.
The town is being put forward for the government’s Great British High Street Awards, with a chance to win up to £10,000 to help support and deliver improvements to its shopping areas, transport and public spaces.

It follows the Shaping Newport consultation last winter, delivered as part of the Shaping Newport Partnership, set up by Newport Parish Council, Newport Business Association and the Isle of Wight Council.

Councillor Wayne Whittle, Cabinet member for business development, regeneration and tourism, said: “After the great work on the Shaping Newport Place Plan, we’re joining up with our MP to put Newport forward as a great British High Street worthy of government support.”

On-the-ground support and events will also be up for grabs for the winners and there is an opportunity to join in a competition to encourage Island shoppers to use their high street businesses.

Bob Seely MP said: “Great British High Street week is a fantastic way to celebrate and recognise the important role our town centres play in British life.

“On the Island, we’re lucky to have many vibrant high streets full of independent shops and we want that to continue because it’s a part of our Island’s unique character.

“I was delighted to be in Newport to meet the people and businesses that are the life and soul of our communities.”

Isle of Wight Council Press Release – REGENERATION EXHIBITION IN NEWPORT

Inspiring work capturing young people’s ideas on the Isle of Wight Council’s regeneration ambitions will be displayed in an exhibition.

Models created by students for a range of projects will be showcased at 30 High Street, Newport, from 20 to 30 July. 

The exhibition will feature entries from the recent Young Designer Awards, this year’s Isle of Wight Youth Conference and from students at the Portsmouth School of Architecture.

Reniera O’Donnell, assistant director of regeneration, said: “We are really excited about being able to share this work with the Island.

“High quality design is absolutely key to any of the regeneration plans and we hope this exhibition will spark lively debate about the future of architectural design on the Island.”

The exhibition will be open to the public daily from 10am to 4pm, during the period it’s running.

Jazz At The Apollo

Privilege Seat Applications Welcomed

Please see below press release from Isle of Wight Council;

PRIVILEGE SEAT APPLICATIONS WELCOMED

Applications for ‘privilege seats’ on school buses are being welcomed by the Isle of Wight Council.

Parents and guardians of children not eligible for free school transport can buy a privilege seat for the 2018/19 academic year.

Online applications will be open from 9am on Monday 9 July to 5pm on Friday 20 July.

The privilege ticket costs £390 – the equivalent of around £2 a day over the academic year – which can be paid in instalments.

Councillor Paul Brading, Cabinet member for education, said: “I’m pleased we’re able to offer even more children the opportunity to travel to school using a bus. 

“All children eligible for school transport have had the appropriate routes identified and they have been issued with their bus passes. 

“As such, we now have a number of spare seats available, which will be offered via a randomised application process.”

For more details on how to apply, visit https://www.iwight.com/Residents/schools-and-learning/School-Transport/Privilege-Seat-on-School-Transport 

 

Newport Carnival – 26th July 2018

Newport Carnival Quiz Night

Top